Desktop Publishing with PageMaker -- BCIS 2430
This course introduces students to the concepts of desktop publishing using Microsoft Word, clip art, and PageMaker.
Concepts covered include such topics as creating business cards, letterheads, flyers, brochures, newsletters, and booklets.
Students create a two-page newsletter from materials provided. Students also create their personal stationery and business cards.
Credit: 2 semester hours | Prerequisite: Word processing course or experience
After taking this course, students will be able to:
a desktop publishing application to create eye-catching reports, flyers,
- Import Word documents and graphics to a PageMaker publication to create a newsletter
- Demonstrate proven techniques for layout and design,
including the correct use of white space and fonts
- Use keyboard shortcuts for the most common PageMaker functions
- Import, resize, and manipulate
graphics on a page containing text
- Judiciously utilize white space on a printed page
- Explain the role
of page layout in determining document readability
- Demonstrate strong proofreading and formatting skills in editing and correcting documents before they are submitted
- Select and use application templates
- Explain how to acquire graphics for use in desktop publishing
- Demonstrate how to use graphics for esthetics as well
- Enhance employment opportunities through demonstration of marketable desktop publishing skills
- Produce good quality documents even when working under pressure
- Follow oral and written desktop publishing directions
Students must demonstrate that they have learned PageMaker basics by:
- Completing the in-class assignments
- Creating homework assignments
- Passing written tests with a score of 70% or better
- Creating a two-page newsletter given guidelines, articles, and graphics
Click to open a PageMaker test (in PDF format).
Note: Set your browser
to allow pop-ups or hold down the CTRL key.
Return to Top